Once in a while whether you're a super healthy eater 24/7 or not, we all occasionally crave and deserve a sweet treat! So while these aren't the most nutritious thing you can eat they aren't as bad for you as regular baked goods thanks to one ingredient you might not expect..!
...Chickpeas! The humble can of chickpeas can create so much more than hummus! And it is the main ingredient in these blondies in place of flour meaning (minus the optional oreo topping) they are gluten-free and coeliac friendly!
I found this recipe over on TheHonourSystem.com, I've made a batch of them before and they were divineeee and gobbled them up embarassingly quickly! Then I had a wave of inspiration after discovering original Oreo cookies are vegan (!) and decided to jazz them up the second time around.
And here is the end result! They are so fudgy and sweet in the middle with a nice crisp crust on top and you definitely cannot detect any note of hummus! If you've never heard of or eaten a 'blondie' before it's the same consistency to a Chocolate Brownie except it doesn't have any cocoa powder therefore it's blonde!
Obviously these aren't that healthy due to the sugar content, but the chickpeas are naturally high in protein, fibre and contain potassium, iron and magnesium, therefore they do have a better nutritional value than white flour, which usually goes in cakes. Plus as it doesn't contain milk, butter or eggs it is perfect for those following a vegan/plant-based diet or have dairy intolerances/allergies!
I personally don't advocate many fad diets; I would recommend for the happiest and healthiest diet and lifestyle is to maintain a balance, taking care to mindfully think about what you're putting into your body as well as the output from movement. The best concept of this I've heard is the 80/20 approach, where you eat wholesome, nutritional food 80% of the time to support and sustain your body. Then allow some indulgences for the remaining 20% of the time - be it a glass of red wine, a packet of crisps or a peanut butter blondie to keep you from going insane from restricting yourself from your favourite foods or drinks!
The perfect little (less guilty) treat for an afternoon pick-me-up with a cup of tea and a good book!
My name is Helen Davison and I'm a NIMH registered practising Medical Herbalist based in Ramsbottom, Lancashire. I've had a keen interest in herbal remedies since my early teens and would experiment creating my own balms and bath bombs using natural ingredients, which prompted me in discovering and pursuing a career in Western Herbal Medicine.